Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What, More Math?

I have tried several times to get in touch with the powder coating shop to bring the frame and other parts over for painting.  No luck.  Maybe they started Thanksgiving early and they are all sleeping in front of the TV with triptophan poisoning.  Anyway, I thought today would be a slow day since there isn't anything I can do on the car right now.  I was wrong...

I decided to start researching the next area I've been avoiding, mostly because there are too many options and too many opinions -- Brakes!  Yes, I know they're not optional, but I never expected so many varying opinions on how best to stop a car (I won't even get into it).  OK, maybe just for a moment.  We all know that you push the pedal and the car stops.  Easy, right?  Well, apparently a lot of science goes into actually making the brakes do their job well.  I knew that I wanted manual brakes (as opposed to power-assisted brakes which just about all cars have today.)  I thought that would make the whole design simpler.  Well, sort of.  You see, without the power of the engine to help apply pressure to the brakes, it has to be designed more carefully so a normal mortal's leg can supply enough power.  Back in the old days, all cars had non-power brakes and they worked well enough.  But most of those parts aren't around anymore so I have to do actual math to calculate even more things I won't even get into.  Suffice it to say that after working on it for 4 hours, I didn't make much progress other than deciding I have to chop and reweld my brake pedal to change the leverage it applies (good thing I still have the welder!).  Besides that, all I have is lots of notes and ideas.  The whole morning almost felt like real work.  The only difference is that at work, we'd have 8 people sitting around accomplishing nothing.  (just kidding...)

It's now mid-afternoon and here comes UPS for their daily delivery.  What is it today?  A big box!!  A-ha, my steering rack.  Beautiful chrome.  What, where are the bushings?  Those are the thingies that keep the metal parts separated so they don't rub against each other.  Let me look it up.  What, there are different kinds?  How do I know what I need?  Why couldn't they just send some and I wouldn't have to make another decision.  OK, how hard can it be?  They're just rubber donuts.  It turns out that I've just entered another room in the Twilight Zone -- steering geometry.  Is it possible that I'm going to spend the whole day doing math?  It appears so.


The steering rack is the rubber accordion with the bolt coming out of it.  Somehow it needs to pivot on the same axis as the black part below it.  If not, the direction of the tires will change as the car hits bumps (and that doesn't sound good).  More work for another day...

When I dreamed up this project, I thought it would be just like those plastic model cars kids build, only bigger and with metal parts.


 I underestimated.  Boy, do I have a long way to go...

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I'm glad you're using all of your education. Would have made Gandpa proud. But, for those shots in the cockpit, you have to put on some work boots or something. Those dock siders don't cut it for wrenchin'. Dan is taking autoshop, but surprisingly its ALL book study. We went to look at a 2000 Honda Civic. It was in a rear end collision that seemed to compromise the structural rigidity so we didn't get it. But, it was fun to be crawing under the car with him. Hope the boys are taking an interest in your project! Your bro.

    ReplyDelete