Thursday, November 11, 2010

Find of the Century!

The rear suspension is designed to fit parts from a few different models of early 1990's Fords.  I'm trying to find these parts used because new replacement parts are so expensive.  For probably a month I've been looking for the rear spindles (the rear wheels bolt to them).  I knew I could buy them new but it would be about $1,000!  Every day I'd try a new angle -- junkyards, eBay, parts houses, etc. with no luck.  Then last week I found a website for early 1990's Ford Thunderbird enthusiasts.  This happens to be one of the models I can get parts from.  Why there are any Ford Thunderbird enthusiasts at all, I don't understand, but thankfully they exist.
1990 Ford Thunderbird

And right there on the used parts list were my spindles.  Amazingly, only $60!!!!  Someone down in FL was selling them so they'll have to be shipped up here (for another $40, but hey, it beats buying the new ones, right?).

Shortly after I agree to buy them, I get an email response, "Hello Ralph,
Sorry but we do not have these items ready for shipping. We must remove them from the parts car we have here.  If you cannot wait a couple of days...maybe a week, I will return your money in full. Sorry for the trouble, but we were not aware that we did not have these ready to go.
Thanks and let me know what you would like to do. Victor and Diane".  Of course, I let them know it's no problem.  Then I realize that since they seem to be taking apart the car, maybe they have another part I'm looking for -- the rear differential (a set of gears connected to the axle, also called a "pumpkin" by true gearheads).  
I send them an email with my request to see if they have the part.  The next day I get this response, "We do have several 8.8 pumpkins from parts cars 89-93. I am not sure if they are 3.55 ratio or not. My husband just had surgery and he is unable to help me with this question. I looked for tags but they do not all have them. Can you help me figure it out?  If you tell me what to do or look for, I am sure I can help you.  Diane"  I have to laugh because this women is still trying to help me after her husband had surgery.  I send best wishes to her husband and ask her to give me the serial numbers and send pictures when she can.

The next day, I get an email from Diane with serial numbers and pictures.  It includes this "I am missing one picture and if you need it, I can always get it in the morning. I have to cook dinner now! You see...a woman's work is never done.  Thanks and we should have those hubs out soon. I will keep you posted."  I look over the information and ask how much they're asking for each.  The next day she responds, "Hello Ralph, I have to take Victor to the doctors in about 30 minutes. I will take a picture of the third unit and identify the others. I should be back around 3pm. Thanks for your patience. Diane"  I don't know whether to assume Victor is getting better or not so I decide to leave them alone for a couple days.
Yesterday, I sent them a short message to remind them I'm still interested.  They responded with a few questions, to which I replied.  I'll have to let you know if I get my "pumpkin" from them and how Victor is doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment