Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How to Title a Car in NJ

After lots of reading and talking to the state motor vehicle commission, I find that there are three steps involved to get a car on the road:

1.  Pass a detailed safety inspection performed by specialized motor vehicle agents.  They spend a few hours with the car on a lift checking all aspects of the car's construction.
2.  Pass the mechanical inspection (lights work, brakes work, etc.).
3.  Pass the emissions test.

I wasn't worried about the inspections, but knew I couldn't build a car that would pass current emissions requirements.  Cars today are super-computers on wheels and anyway, that's what I'm trying to get away from.

Then I found the answer.  In NJ, the emissions test level is based on the year of the engine, not the car.  So a new car with an old engine (like pre-1970 when there were no emissions standards) can easily pass.  The secret is to have an old engine in my new car.  But where can I find an old engine?

No comments:

Post a Comment