Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back on Track

Wow, how quickly time flies!  I can't believe it's been a week since my last post.  For all of you who were sitting on the edge of your seat, sorry?  Anyway, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Laurie's family.  Great food and time together.  By Friday, Laurie's mother noticed I was getting a little antsy so she gave me a few things to fix around the house and that made me feel better.

While we were up there, I did pick-up the fuel tank tray I had purchased through eBay.  It made a great suitcase storage box in the back of our car.  I also got some time to continue researching brakes.  I thought I had it figured out and then I saw a small reference that the brakes may not fit behind the wheels I ordered.  So now my plan is to wait a little while until my wheels get delivered and then I'll order the brake parts.  That way I can check the fit and return the parts if they don't work.

Another thing I focused on was the steering geometry.  I had a feeling it wouldn't work quite right with the parts I had.  So yesterday, I searched around the junkyards and found new spindles that have a slightly different angle that I think will work better.

When I when to pick them up, this is what they looked like.

They literally ripped the whole piece out of the car for me, brakes and all.  Somewhere in those piles of rust are the parts I need.  As an aside, I may be able to sell the brakes to someone else (in case anyone asks why I don't just use them on my car, they're too small, ha-ha).  I tore into it and got the parts separated.  Here they are ready to go.

I also had to modify them a little so they will fit the brakes I hope to get.

Here is a comparison between the old spindle (left) and the new one (right).  You can see that although they look similar, the new one's left arm is bent up.  I hope this helps the steering profile.

I got an email from Diane in Florida that she sent my rear hubs and they should be here tomorrow.  Victor had to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital having his third surgery on a broken leg!

And I found a different painter for the frame.  They're in Rockaway and I'm bringing everything there tomorrow to get that started.  Should take about 4-5 days and then I'm building.  Ya-hoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment