Thursday, November 11, 2010

Maybe $800 for Shipping Was a Good Deal After All

As October 23 approached, I had no way to get a 600 lb. car frame and a fiberglass body from MA to NJ.  I would have to rent a car hauling trailer and I would have to put a hitch on our car.

OK, got the hitch (that was "only" $900).  Now the trailer.  I mentioned to Laurie that I'd have to rent a trailer about 12 times during the building process (to take the car for paint, inspections, and so on).  She smartly recommended buying a trailer.  Several days of searching local dealers and the internet and I find a used trailer offered on Craigslist that seems just right.  But it's already Wednesday and we're supposed to pick up the parts on Saturday.  I'm on the verge of delaying the pickup another week, but I keep pushing forward.

I see the trailer that night and $2,500 later, I have my first car hauler.

On Thursday morning I go to get it registered, I don't have the right paperwork, so I wait for the seller to get off work that night so he can get a bill of sale notarized.  I hope I have everything the MVC wants because I only have Friday to get it registered and get insurance.

Fortunately and with some help from Laurie, it worked out and we got the trailer home.

David Cohen lent us his truck for the trip to MA (and I was smart enough to say yes!).  All system were go.  Just drive to MA, load everything and drive home.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment