Saturday, December 11, 2010

Brief Update

Not much has been happening over the last few days as I wait for the frame to come back from powder coating.  I did go to the shop yesterday to see how things were going with the painting and to drop off the rear spindles so they could get the blue paint along with the rest.  They haven't really done much yet since my job is relatively small in comparison to their normal projects.  I hope it will still be done next week.

While I was there I spoke with Bill (the head guy) about fabricating some parts for me.  They're small parts that will help me move the rear brake calipers allowing for larger brakes, but they have to be cut out of 1/4" steel plate.  Somewhat to my surprise, he said he would do it.  All I have to do is give him a drawing and the measurements.  This is great because the only other alternative I found was to buy some brackets from a guy in California for $150 (plus shipping)!!  Now I'm wondering what else he can make for me so I don't have to scrounge around as much.

I really need to get to work on the engine design.  I've been dragging my feet since I decided I wouldn't start the engine work until after the holidays. 

I've also been trying to mentally go through all the building steps so I can see where I'm next going to get stuck as I actually start to build.  I'll be able to assemble the front end and then will get stuck on the brakes (I have none picked out yet).  I can start assembling the rear end, but need brakes there too and the rear differential (I'm still talking to Victor and Diane about getting one from them).  I can do the steering.  I hope to get my fuel tank tomorrow at the monthly Cobra owners breakfast so I'll be able to start the fuel system, but I still need to decide on a fuel pump.  I need to fabricate a heater so I can install the firewall and dash.  And I have to finish fabricating all the aluminum panels that will form the engine compartment and have those painted.  I'm wondering if I can start running fuel and brake lines, but I'll probably have to wait until I have the missing brake and fuel components.

Lots to do, but I think it will start to come together quickly.  I expect I won't really do any construction until after the holidays when I can spend long hours in an unheated garage as the outside temperatures hover around 20 degrees.  Maybe my timing wasn't the best, but I still can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment