Thursday, March 29, 2012

Is This the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning?

Just a quick post to let everyone know that the car is safely at the painter!  Everything went very smoothly.

Early Saturday morning I loaded the car on the trailer (I'm actually getting pretty good at it).

The biggest problem was that I woke up my next door neighbors when I started the engine at 7am.

The ride was about 100 miles over the George Washington bridge, through NY and up to New Haven.  It took about 2 hours and I was happy to get waves and thumbs-up along the way.  After about the first hour it got a lot easier and found myself only looking in the rearview mirror every 30 seconds.  Luckily, I avoided any traffic by going up there early on a Saturday morning.

When I arrived at the painter, I was really excited to meet him and see what else he was working on.  I rang the doorbell and was shocked to see one of my local Cobra buddies (from our monthly breakfasts) open the door!  He had earlier brought his car up there for some Spring polishing (I had never heard of that before) and was back that Saturday to pick it up.  His car is registered for the street but he had a trailer anyway so I helped him load his car and then it was my turn.  I was very proud when I jumped into the driver's seat, pushed the start button and heard the car roar to life.  I slowly backed down the ramp of the trailer and pulled the car into the workshop.  As you'll see in the pictures below, mine was in good company.

Here's my car in the shop.

Here are its cousins.
 (That's the painter in the background below.  He's a perfectionist! I know what some of you are thinking - that's the pot calling the kettle black)



You can see it the last picture that the body has been removed.  They'll be doing the same thing with my car.  Hopefully the bodywork will be completed in about 2 weeks and then they'll take the body off my chassis.  At that time, I'll take another ride up there to get the chassis and bring it back home to finish everything else.

I probably won't have too much to report for a couple weeks and then it's going to get CRAZY.

No comments:

Post a Comment