Monday, April 4, 2011

The Punch List...

I can't believe it's been two weeks since my last post. A few days after dropping off the engine block, I got a call from the machinist with the status.  The block was in average shape and can be brought back to specifications with modest work.  He is going to bore the cylinders 0.030" larger so they are all the same size and I'd have to get pistons to match.  Since I already knew what type of pistons I wanted, I went online to order the appropriate size and found that it would take 2 weeks to get them.  Oh, well.  I also ordered all the other internal parts so the machinist can balance the crankshaft for me.  This is critical since hundreds of pounds of metal spinning at 6000 rpm can do a lot of damage if it isn't in balance.

With 2 weeks before I could start on the engine, I decided to create a punch list of things I need to do to finish the chassis.  I'm sure this will be the first punch list of many.  (For those of you who don't know what a punch list is, it's a list of smaller, pain in the neck, things to do to completely finish a project.)  Here are the major items:
- Mount fuel pump
- Run fuel lines
- Install master cylinder
- Run brake lines
- Mount radiator
- Install parking brake
- Design and build hydraulic clutch

The problem is that each of these things somewhat relies on something else being done so I've been trying to get them done as best I can.  I figured out where to install the fuel pump (wasn't easy, and I still have to make a bracket to mount it) and I ordered the fitting for the fuel lines.  I'm just about done with the master cylinder (I had to move the location to match the modified brake pedal).

I have to fit the fuel pump in here and make it lower than the fuel tank.  Also, it can't rub on anything (like the axles or suspension).  Having the fuel lines rupture is a bad idea.

Here's a picture of the modified brake and clutch pedals.  I had to put bends in them to provide the proper clearance for my feet.

I guess I've been spending most of my time on the clutch.  I designed it on paper and built a prototype of the brackets out of wood.  It looked great and worked just as I had designed it.
See, I'm learning.  Learning that what I design doesn't always work out.  I put the assembly in the car and found that the clutch pedal was traveling way too far (8-9") and that just wasn't going to be comfortable.  Furthermore, I had no way of adjusting it.  So back to the drawing board.  I refined the design and made it more adjustable.  After cutting out new wooden pieces, I put it back in the car -- beautiful!  But wait, now it was going to be too tall and the body wouldn't fit over it.  Third try.  I think I have it this time.  We'll see later today. 

I other news, I continue to surprise myself with how many parts I'm still ordering.  I spent a lot of time wringing my hands over tires.  As has become customary, it's just not that simple.  Who knew there were so many variations of tread design, rubber composition, sizes, etc.  Well, now I'm somewhat of an expert and ordered a set.  They'll be here on Wednesday.  I need the tires now to check the clearance of brake lines and other things that might rub.

Laurie ordered me a set of stainless steel side exhaust and I think they'll be here in a couple weeks.

I wasn't planning to order this yet, but I got a soft top for the car.  The guys who make it offered me a good deal so I took it.  It should be here this week.  Although I don't expect to drive much with the top on, I'd hate to get caught in the rain without it.


Finally, my garage looks like an auto parts warehouse.

So back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment