Friday, February 18, 2011

Progress, Real Progress

More progress yesterday.  I installed the steering rack which is the device that connects the steering wheel with the front wheel spindles.  With that, I officially have steering.

I also finished the rear suspension and installed the axles.  Here is one of the axles about to go into the rear spindle.  There is one of these for each side of the car so that they can operate independently.

Here is the axle and spindle installed.

Basically, all four corners of the car are done and if I had my wheels/tires, I'd be able to have the boys push me around the driveway like a go-kart (a 500 lb. go-kart, that is).

So, here I am, back at the computer trying to figure out what's next.  First, I have to step back for a few minutes and enjoy my accomplishments so far.  Okay, enough of that, now what's next?

As I've probably said before, the aluminum panels that make up the engine compartment will be powder coated pearl black.  Since there is some lead time involved, I want to get those panels to the painter asap!  The problem is that I'm still designing them which means I have to make decisions about other things I'm not ready to decide yet.  For example, some of the panels will surround the radiator. But I don't have a radiator yet and I'm not sure what size it will be or exactly where I want to put it.  Some of the panels depend on how the body will sit on the car, but I don't want to temporarily mount the body if I don't have to.  Anyway, I'll have some design decisions to make, aluminum to buy (Metal Supermarket again), and I'll have to make a device that helps me make long, straight bends in the panels after I cut them out.  More on all that in future posts.

When the panels are at the painter, I'll probably work on a hydraulic clutch system I've been designing and finish the other pedal modifications.

Here's an interesting side note.  Sometime in the next few months, look for me in your copy of Kit Car magazine.  Before Christmas, I had another car builder come over to use my shop for some work he was doing on his car.  We took pictures of each step along the way.  Well, he wrote an article about the modifications he was making and submitted it to the magazine.  Who knows when it will be published, but supposedly, there a picture of me cutting out some of his parts.  I'll post if here when I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment